Monday, October 11, 2010

I WIN. What's the Name of that Game? I WIN. :)

How many of you recognized my title from "Big Daddy"?  :)

I have become a trickster in the kitchen.  I have mentioned previously that I have a million squash and man, I just don't know what to do with them.  I have a couple spaghetti squashes and they sit on my counter looking like bright yellow footballs, mocking me because I have no clue what to do with them.  I know that back in the Atkins-diet phase, it was recommended you cook it and use them as spaghetti noodles.  Nah, I don't think that would fly with "The Pickies"; these are the children (2, 4 1/2 and 6) who can literally create a hostile takeover at the kitchen table.

Soccer is on Sunday nights for our middle buddy, so I need something that doesn't cause a huge ruckus because he is usually tired after soccer.  So for the last two Sundays, I have made Spaghetti with Spaghetti Squash. 

And the BEST part is that they don't know they are eating SQUASH. 
And when I happily tell them, THEY KEEP EATING.

Mom-1
Kids-0
Here's how I do it:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Take a spaghetti squash and slice through it lengthwise with a VERY sharp knife.  Scoop out the seeds (bet they would be good roasted) and place the squash cut-side DOWN on a lightly-oiled baking sheet that has the little sides.  Roast for 30-40 minutes.  You will know when it is done because when you flip it over, you can shred the squash with a fork to make spaghetti-like strings.


While you are roasting the squash, start boiling your water for your spaghetti noodles.  This week I used whole-wheat fettucine and it worked just as well as the spaghetti last week.  You also need to start preparing your favorite sauce.  This week I made a small pot of marinara with fresh herbs and I also made a batch of my vegan alfredo.  Normally I don't do two meals, but the alfredo is ridiculously easy and 2/3 of the kids prefer it where 1/3 prefers marinara.  The hubby and I mixed them together for palomino. 

When the noodles are done boiling, drain them in a colander.  Shred your cooled spaghetti squash and add it to the noodles.  My spaghetti squash was SO big that I only used half of it for a full bag of noodles.  I take a sharp knife and fork and cut all the noodles and squash into bite sized pieces.  I  mix the squash into the noodles but they do start to blend in.  Maybe not as much yet but they will when you add the sauce.

Since "The Pickies" are in full force, I added half of the noodles into the alfredo pan and half into the marinara, mixing the sauce into the noodles.  :) (It tastes so much better like this anyway!).  The squash is officially hidden.

 

The littlest Picky ate two plates of the vegan alfredo (He DETESTS anything pasta)
The middle Picky and the oldest Picky ate their pasta with very little trouble...even when I told them there was squash in it. 

In fact, the middle Picky, raising a forkful to his mouth, says "I DON'T LIKE squash."  Hmmmm, really?!?



No comments: