Monday, October 25, 2010

Happiness isn't SO hard.

My husband reminded me the other day of a Buddhist book he read that talked about happiness.  The topic really spoke to me because I have been thinking about this lots lately; so many people I know are going through rough patches from so many different sources.  Whether it be jobs, relationships, kids, money,ailments, sex; all of these things can make us feel a variety of emotions.  And so many people start off with "I would be happy if..." or "we would get along if..." or "I would be done losing weight if..." 

What do they all have in common?  IF.

Why can't you just be happy with where things are?  There are people all over this world who have life so much tougher than we do.  Lots of them are happy.  Blessed.  Gracious. 

My favorite thing to say recently to my children and my friends is that it is ok to feel a certain way and that we can't control how other people feel.  But we can choose how we react.  We can live with  a sense of sadness, longing or loneliness or we can be grateful for what we do have.  We will never ever be able to control what other people do, say or feel, but we can control how we respond and in turn, how the world perceives us. 

I understand that tough, dark times happen.  I get it.  I have had my share.  I don't have a choice to wallow in them because I am a mother.  A wife.  A sister, daughter, a FRIEND.  All I can do is move forward and make the best choices I can make to make sure we are all taken care of emotionally.  :)  Obviously mental illness may bring people down and it isn't easy to turn it around.  But my point is to DO something about your feelings.  Seek help, guidance.  Make cupcakes.  Do anything that makes you warm inside.

So stop with the "IFs".  Make the conscious choice to move forward and create your own happiness no matter the circumstance.  There will always be a sharp corner, a dark place and  a wrench thrown in your plans. 
Choose your path and live peacefully.











No comments: