Friday, July 1, 2011

Donuts. Is there anything they can't do? --Homer Simpson

There isn't much I miss with my lifestyle.  Occasionally I will notice a beautiful dessert or smell an incredible soup or curry and be brought back into the omnivore world...then it immediately passes. I like how I eat, WHAT I eat and I have no desire to change it.  How can I when there are so many awesome cookbooks, blogs and recipes that I still want to try.

I have been wanting a donut pan *FOREVER*.  The problem with said pan is that it cost something like $15 for a half dozen pan and in all reality, who really only wants six donuts with a family of five?  $30 for donuts seemed unnecessary so I never bought the pans...until our family trip to Meijer and they were only $6.99 for a pan!  Yes, please!  I can get on board with $14.  :)




Off to find a recipe and BAM, within seconds, THIS ONE from The Urban Housewife popped up.  It was adapted from one of my favorite sites (which I am currently unable to visit) and it was easy to make and super delicious.  In fact, I may make some now.  :)

Baked Vegan Donuts
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 shake of cinnamon 
1/2 cup soymilk
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Egg replacer for 1 egg (I used Ener-G Egg Replacer.)
4 tablespoons Earth Balance or other vegan margarine

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350Âș F.

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly.

In a small saucepan, combine wet ingredients over medium low heat & mix until margarine is melted. You should be able to stick your finger in the mixture without burning yourself. Don't make this too hot for the dough!

Add wet to dry & mix until just combined, forming a soft spongy dough.

Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out dough into an ungreased nonstick donut  pan and smooth out the tops of them. Fill them until just below the rim. 

Bake them for 12 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.

Invert the hot pan over a cooling rack to release the donuts & allow them to cool completely before decorating.

This made 8 super-yummy donuts!



After the donuts cooled, I brushed them with a little bit of agave and then rolled them into cinnamon sugar.  Seriously good stuff.  I may do a powdered sugar/almond milk glaze next time with some maple extract.  Or sprinkles.  Or chopped peanuts.  The options are endless!!!

No comments: